You might be Using Windows for a long time but I am sure majority of you guys don’t know all the features and The function keys or F-keys on a computer keyboard, labeled F1 through F12, are keys that have a special function defined by the operating system, or by a currently running program. They may be combined with the Alt or Ctrl keys. We all know Common shortcuts like CTRL+C to Copy and CTRL+V to Paste, But you might not know what F1, F2, F3…….F12 keys actually do and where and when to use them.
On some smaller keyboards, including those on many laptop computers, the F-keys may have a dedicated function such as changing the brightness of the screen, the volume of the audio, or other device-specific functions. On these keyboards, there is typically a separate Fn key that you can hold down to indicate that you want to use the key as a standard Function key.
If you would prefer not to press the Fn key to access your function keys, you can configure the keyboard to treat them as regular Function keys in your Control Panel or System Settings.
If your keyboard does not have a row of function keys, they are probably set up as secondary functions on other keys. Look for alternate labels on your keys, or consult your computer’s manual for more information.
In this article, we will see Common features and Uses of F1-F12 keys, and also how these keys can be used with the Combination of CTRL and ALT keys.
Uses Of F1 Key
- F1 key almost everywhere is used for “Help”. if you are using windows OS and want help anywhere then press an F1 key, this will open up help window for you.
- Sometimes the F1 key is used to enter the BIOS (press F1 when your computer is about to boot).
- Combination of Win + F1 keys will open the “Help and Support» Microsoft Windows.
Uses Of F2 Key
- Rapidly rename the chosen file or folder. Works in all adaptations of Windows.
- Alt + Ctrl + F2 – Opens the Document as a Microsoft Word.
- Ctrl + F2 – Opens the Preview window in Microsoft Word.
- Frequently to enter the BIOS.
Uses Of F3 Key
- In the MS-DOS charge line or in Windows, press F3 to rehash the last summons.
- Win + F3 – Advanced Search window opens in Microsoft Outlook.
- Shift + F3 – Changes the content in Microsoft Word, from upper to lower case or capital letters at the start of each one expression.
- In the event that I am not mixed up, it is the F3 key which will cause the Application«Control» computers Apple, running Mac OS X.
Uses Of F4 Key
- Most common, Alt + F4 to close the current program window. If no program window is open, it launches a Shutdown dialog box
- Ctrl + F4 closes active window within a currently active window in Microsoft Windows
- opens address bar in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
- Press F4 to repeat the last action performed in Microsoft Word
Uses Of F5 Key
- Refreshes the present page (works in all advanced programs), and additionally redesign the desktop or open organizers in Windows.
- Running a slide demonstrate in Powerpoint.
Uses Of F6 Key
- Move the cursor in the location bar (additionally works in numerous advanced programs).
- Ctrl + Shift + F6 – opens Document in Microsoft Word
Uses Of F7 Key
- Mostly used for spelling and grammar in a document programs Microsoft (Word, Outlook, etc.)
Uses Of F8 Key
- Pressing an F8 key while your PC is about to boot will result in booting your PC in Safe mode.
Uses Of F9 Key
- The F9 key does not have any functionality in Windows. It may, however, be used in some individual programs. To find out if it is available in the program you are using, bring up the program’s help screen and type in the words function key.
Uses Of F10 Key
- Activates “Menu” in the open organizer window.
- Shift + F10 – works same as the right mouse click.
- Pressing F10 while your system is booting will show you BIOS Information.
- F10 is used to enter the hidden recovery partition on computers Sony.
Uses Of F11 Key
- F11 Key will take you to Full-screen mode and it can be used and work in any Browser.
Uses Of F12 Key
- Opens the “Save As” in Microsoft Word.
- Shift + F12 – Saves a document in Microsoft Word.
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 – Prints a document in Microsoft Word.
- An F12 key will open up Inspect element box in any Browser.